Based on a recipe from MyRecipes.com
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12 ounce) bag of frozen broccoli florets
- 3 chicken breasts
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ black pepper
- 1 ½ cup onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ low-fat milk (or soymilk)
- 2 ½ Tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces (1 cup) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Rinse quinoa before cooking. Cook according to package directions.
- Chop onion. Set aside.
- Mince garlic. Set aside with onion.
- Whisk milk and flour in small bowl.
I use unsweetened, unflavored soymilk.
- Coat glass or ceramic baking dish with oil.
I use a 13 x 9 glass baking dish.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook broccoli in microwave 2 minutes less than what package directions call for.
Let broccoli cool. Cut florets into bit-sized pieces.
- Add chicken to oiled pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on high heat until cooked thoroughly (5 to 10 minutes). Set aside.
- In large pot, add 1 Tbsp of oil. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Use a pot big enough to stir together all the ingredients in the recipe.
- Add milk and flour mixture, chicken stock, remaining salt, and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes. Add Parmesan, stirring until cheese melts.
- Stir in quinoa, broccoli, chicken, and mayonnaise. Spoon into casserole dish.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until casserole is bubbly and cheese melts.
This casserole is incredibly easy to make, tasty, and packed with nutrient-rich quinoa and broccoli. You can freeze leftovers for future meals.
Quinoa can be found at American grocery stores, but you may want to shop around to find the best price; it can be a bit pricey.