Based on recipe on RealSimple website
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- Canola oil
- ½ small onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4–inch cubes
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- 1 Tbsp chives, chopped
- 4 slices of bacon (optional)
- Add 1 Tbsp canola oil to medium-size pot. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, broth, milk, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are soft and soup is slightly thickened, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Divide into bowls.
- Add shredded cheddar.
- Add chives.
- (Optional) Add small sections of cooked bacon strips.
The recipe calls for milk but soy milk works quite well too. The recipe also calls for bacon, cooking it first and then using the fat leftover from the bacon to sauté the onion and garlic. I didn’t do this, opting instead for a bacon-free version.