Based on recipe from www.food.com
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- ¾ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 ½ Tbsp canola or peanut oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 drops soy sauce
- 6 drops sesame oil
- 8 ounces chicken, cut into small pieces (optional)
- ½ cup carrots, slivers
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 4 cups cooked rice, medium grain
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Cook rice. Add dash of salt before cooking.
- Beat eggs. Mix with 6 drops of soy sauce and 6 drop of sesame oil. Set aside.
- Chop onion, cut carrots into slivers, slice green onions, and cut chicken into small pieces. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in pan on medium-high. Add onions and stir-fry for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add ½ Tbsp of oil to the pan. Add egg mixture. When egg puffs, flip. Remove and chop into small pieces.
- Add 1 Tbsp of oil to the pan. (Optional) Add chicken and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add carrots, peas, and cooked onions. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add rice and green onions. Toss and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of sesame oil, and the chopped egg. Stir-fry 1 minute.
I’m still playing around with this recipe. I originally made it without meat though meat adds a different flavor to it. Next time I might try adding chopped garlic when cooking the onions and adding oyster sauce with the soy sauce at the end. I am also curious if adding seasoning to the rice before cooking it (e.g., cooking the rice with a combination of broth and water) would enhance the flavors of the dish.